COAS signs death warrants of 30 ‘hardcore terrorists’

Chief of Army Staff Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa on Wednesday signed the death warrants for 30 “hardcore terrorists” with links to the 2014 Army Public School attack, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.

The suspected terrorists were involved in “heinous offences,” which included the “kidnapping and slaughtering” of soldiers of the Frontier Constabulary and an attack on Saidu Sharif airport, the military’s media wing said.

The ‘terrorists’ were also responsible for killing innocent civilians, attacking the armed forces of Pakistan and law enforcement agencies, ISPR said.

Earlier this month, military courts were reinstated for two years after a tug of war between the government and opposition parties over the way of their functioning.

Government and opposition parties had expressed reservations regarding mystery surrounding military court trials: no one knows who the convicts are, what charges have been brought against them, or what their defence is against the allegations levelled.

However, last month, the National Assembly voted overwhelmingly in favour of the revival of the courts.