Police and security forces on Friday launched a crackdown in Quetta and adjoining areas, arresting 98 suspects after the target-killing spree that claimed five lives over a 24-hour period.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the killings as yet.
“Police and Frontier Corps conducted a search operation in Killi Ismail and adjoining areas and detained 98 suspects in connection with recent targeted killings,” Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Razzaq Cheema told DawnNews.
He said that two brothers of a banned militant outfit’s commander were among those detained by police for interrogation.
Police and Frontier Corps had launched the joint operation following the targeted killing of a Balochistan Constabulary personnel.
“We will set the innocent people free after interrogation”, Cheema assured, adding that security had been tightened in and around Quetta in the aftermath of the targeted killings.
Balochistan has faced a number of security challenges in recent months, with security personnel in the province often being targeted in roadside explosions.
Earlier this month, three security officials were injured after an improvised explosive device (IED) seemingly targeted their vehicle in the Johan area of Kalat.
Days later, two navy sailors were martyred and at least three others were wounded when their vehicle was attacked in the Jiwani area of Gwadar district.
In May, at least 10 labourers were killed in Balochistan’s Gwadar district when unidentified assailants opened fire at the construction site where they were working.