Teenage Shia mourner critically injured in takfiri terrorist attack outside Shia mosque in Birmingham

Teenage Shia mourner Syed Hassan Abbas Bokhari al-Naqvi s/o Syed Jafar Shah stabbed outside Idaara Maarif-e-Islam mosque in Birmingham.

A man has been arrested in connection with the stabbing of a 14-year-old boy outside a mosque in Birmingham.

The attack, which left the teenager in a critical condition, was one of several violent incidents in four cities that left two people dead and several others injured on Friday night and the early hours of Saturday.

West Midlands police said a 29-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder on Saturday morning and is in custody.

Police said the teenager suffered several stab wounds in the attack in the Small Heath area shortly after 1am on Saturday and was taken to hospital by paramedics. A cordon has been put in place at the scene in Herbert Road while specialist teams carry out forensic investigations.

Police said they were not treating the attack as a terrorist incident but the motivation remained unclear. One line of inquiry was that the incident could have been a racially motivated hate crime.

The incident occurred when the boy was dropped off at the Idaara Maarif-e-Islam mosque, commonly known as Hussainia, by his father, who went to park the car.

Azhar Kiana, the president of the mosque, told the Birmingham Mail: “It happened on the pavement. By the time the dad parked his car his son was on the floor. There was a young man who was brutally beating the boy with a knife.

“There was blood everywhere, he was hitting the boy’s neck and head. Then the attacker ran off and got into a car.”

DI Jim Colclough from the complex crime investigation team at Bournville Lane police station said: “Our investigation is progressing quickly but it is still in the early stages. We do not believe it to be terror-related. The motivation for the attack is not yet known. We are keeping an open mind as to whether it could be racially or religiously motivated.”

Colclough said officers were working closely with local communities and had increased police presence in the area to provide reassurance. “It is a tragic event which has left a young boy in hospital fighting for his life,” he said. “We’ve spoken to a number of witnesses but would continue to urge anyone who was in the area and saw what happened, or has any other information which may help our investigation, to contact me or my team on 101 or to call Crimestoppers as soon as possible.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *