Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi

Iran door to diplomacy remains open despite Europe failure to fulfill deal pledges

Tehran says it is not after fueling tensions and keeps the door open to diplomacy and talks despite Europe’s failure to stand up to US pressure and uphold its commitments under a 2015 nuclear deal.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Wednesday that the country remains committed to the 2015 nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), but at the same time, defends the nation’s rights.

“Although Iran is pursuing this strategy, we have not closed the door to diplomacy and the door is open to talks,” he added.

The remarks came as Emmanuel Bonne, French President Emmanuel Macron’s top diplomatic adviser, is in Tehran to hold talks with Iranian officials in a bid to salvage the JCPOA and de-escalate the tensions, which broke out in the aftermath of the US’s unilateral withdrawal last year from the accord and re-imposition of harsh economic sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

Iran initially said it would stay in the deal if the other signatories — France, Britain, Germany, Russia and China — manage to fill in for the United States and offset Washington’s anti-Iran sanctions.

A year later, after the European sides failed to fulfill their end of the bargain, Iran suspended the implementation of some of its commitments under the deal to hurry the Europeans into meeting Iran’s legal demands under the deal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*