Health Ministry: More Iranian coronavirus patients discharged from hospital

An Iranian Health Ministry official says despite the surging number of coronavirus cases across the country, more patients have recovered and been released from the hospital during past days, depicting a promising prognosis for Iranians contracting coronavirus infection.

“In Qom and other provinces, including Tehran and Gilan, more people with coronavirus and those suspected of the disease have been released from hospital after complete treatment,” Kianoush Jahanpour, the head of public relations and information center of the Iranian Ministry of Health, said on Thursday.

In addition to the 30 people, whose release was announced yesterday, as many as 22 more were discharged today, he said.

The country, the official said, has begun a far-and-wide search aimed at identifying the patients. As of Friday, as many as 15 laboratories will be performing diagnosis of suspected patients, he said, noting that the number of these facilities will increase to 22 in the upcoming week, and could reach 40 in the weeks that would follow.

Jahanpour said the increase in the number of the laboratories has helped identify 106 cases of infection since Wednesday, adding that seven more people had died from the virus in the same time span.

“Therefore, there are a total of 245 people across the country, who have been found to be definitely infected with the virus, and 26 have so far lost their lives to the infection,” the official announced.

Among the newly-diagnosed patients, thirty-eight people are from Tehran, 23 from the northern province of Gilan, and eight from the central province of Isfahan, he noted. The north-central city of Qom, and the northern Mazandaran Province each have seven cases, while the northwestern Ardabil Province contains five cases, Jahnpour said.

Alborz Province that borders Tehran Province, the northern Semnan Province, and the western province of Lorestan have each reported three patients, and Kermanshah, another western province, and the northwestern East Azarbaijan Province contain two cases each, he reported.

There is one case per province in the western provinces of Hamedan and Kordestan, the northeastern Khorasan Razavi Province, the northwestern West Azarbaijan Province, and the central province of Yazd, the official said.

Jahnpour urged the public to reduce the number of their intra-urban and inter-urban trips and avoid gatherings that could contribute to the disease’s spread.

The virus — named COVID-19 — first emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year and is now spreading in Europe and across the Middle East, sparking fears of a global pandemic.

Around 2,800 people have died in China and more than 80,000 have been infected. There have been more than 50 deaths and 3,600 cases in dozens of other countries, raising fears of a pandemic.

In Iran, the virus showed up in the north-central city of Qom, a destination for Muslim pilgrims from across the world.

Iranian medical officials have assured that Iran would, in the near future, rein in the outbreak, noting that the condition of many patients diagnosed with the virus had improved.

The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), Iran’s elite defense force, has expressed preparedness to help fight the outbreak, and Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami has assigned his Ministry’s subsidiary organizations with the task of mass-producing liquid disinfectants and protective masks, which are currently in high demand as Iranians want to take protective measures to guard against the virus.

Leave a Reply