Mourners agree to call off Quetta sit-in, burial to be held today

QUETTA: Sit-ins being held across the country in solidarity with the victims of the Machh tragedy have been called off following successful talks between the government and the protesters encamped in Quetta.

In a late night development, federal minister Ali Zaidi had announced that there had been a breakthrough in talks between the government and the heirs of the victims, following which the latter had given permission for the slain men to be given a burial.

Zaidi said it had accepted all demands put forth by the protesters, while Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly Qasim Suri promised that the prime minister and the army chief would be visiting the protesters to pay their respects and express their condolences as soon as the burials were completed.

Leader of the Shuhada Action Committee Agha Raza said on the occasion that the protests had been organised for the sake of the heirs of the deceased, and were now being called off with their consent.

He said the slain men would be buried with solemnity at 10am on Saturday (today).

According to the agreement reached between the government and the sit-in committee, strict action will be taken against those found responsible for negligence in the Machh incident.

A high-level commission has been set-up, led by the provincial home minister on the incident, it reads.

“The Balochistan government will provide Rs1.5 million each to the families of martyrs. Federal and provincial security agencies will review the security situation in Balochistan. NADRA passport and immigration offices will solve problems faced by Hazara community. The Balochistan government will provide employment to the heirs of martyrs.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close